Monday, August 3, 2009

Week 1, Day 1

I knew last night that I was planning to run this morning. I did a load of laundry with my only two sports bras last night. I put everything in the dryer, then went to bed. This morning when I went downstairs to get my laundry, everything in the dryer was still soaking wet. Really? An excuse not to run on the very first day? Not so fast! I've got two words for you: Gung Ho. Or how about: Backup Bra. Now let's get this show on the road.

Today's running program called for a brisk 5-minute warm-up, then alternating 60 seconds of jogging/90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. I was actually surprised by how quick the time went. I thought I'd jog for 10 seconds and look at my watch thinking the minute must be over by now, but that didn't happen. In fact, a few times I looked at my watch and found that I had gone over by a second or two.

The main reason that I found it fairly easy is that my jogging pace is so........... slow............. I've actually done C25K in the past but have never finished it. I think I always had too many expectations, or pushed myself too much. I'm taking Jan's advice and I'm just going to "do it anyway." If that means going at a snail's pace, then so be it. And honestly, I don't give a crap about time, so it's really not an issue for me this time. If that changes in the coming weeks, then I'll point myself to this post. Hey Effie: TIME DOESN'T MATTER!!

A few things that do matter? Sneakers. I need new ones. Knowing my history with running shoes, I have to go to a speciality running store like Marathon Sports or Whirlaway Sports and have the experts pick a pair for me. I've tried buying shoes on my own, going by feel and style and research and reviews, but I end up with sore feet every time, and they still cost $80-$100. I might go after work some night this week and splurge for a new pair.

Also, Routine. I feel like I need to pick set days to run. I can't wake up in the morning and then decide if I want to run or not. I need to know the night before, and (lesson learned) have my clothes laid out and ready to go. Being on auto-pilot is the key. I can't think about what I'm going to be doing. I just need to think that I'm supposed to get up by 6am. Then I'm supposed to put on these clothes that are stacked neatly on the dresser. Then I'm supposed to put on these sneakers and go outside. Then I'm supposed to walk briskly for 5 minutes. Then I'm supposed to jog for 60 seconds. Because really, none of this is difficult. 60 seconds of jogging? That's not scary. And then I get to walk for a minute and a half. I can do that. It's when I think about it like, "Tomorrow is the day that you have to do your training run! There are only 3 days per week that you have to do this, and tomorrow is one of them. There are 4 more days in the week that you could push this off to. Wouldn't it be nice to sleep in tomorrow and then eat a pound of bacon for breakfast?" No, auto-pilot is the way to go.

Day 2 and Day 3 this week are the same as Day 1. I like that, because I already know I can do it. Now I just need to pick the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment